Shelby's TNT experience

A blog of my experience with Team In Training. Friends & Family can follow my interesting journey from being a person who cannot stand to run to a person who will hopefully cross the finish line of a 1/2 marathon Febuary 1st!

Saturday

Shelby running a 1/2 marathon?? I know, get the giggle and the surprised look off your face, I really am going to train for and attempt a 1/2 marathon.

It all started a few weeks ago when I went down to Golden Gate Park and Ocean Beach to cheer on and support my friends Andrea, Melanie and Gail who were
run/walking the Nike Women's 1/2 and full marathon in San Francisco. I knew for a few months that they were both training to do this, but I dismissed them as being more motivated & slightly crazy than I would ever be and knew I would never attempt such a thing.

Then, as I was standing there alone, watching all these amazing women... thousands and thousands of them, of all ages, shapes & sizes... pushing themselves to reach their finish line, I was just moved beyond words. I can't believe I am so lazy. I can't believe I am so selfish to be a young, healthy woman and I do nothing to challenge myself physically. Well, ok I have been rock climbing and that's new, fun & can be as challenging as you want it to be... but running?! That's not fun. But ALL these women were pushing themselves to do it! I have to really try... really try... but I will definitely need some help. Hence, Team in Training!!
Emotionally charged and ready to tackle this enormous challenge, I signed up for a Team In Training meeting. I was so excited that during my lunch hour one day I decided to attempt this whole running thing and see if it was still as painful as I remember. It was an absolutely beautiful day in SF... how fun to be one of those runners who look like they are fit & enjoying running around this awesome city! I usually just go to the gym, but instead I headed down to the Ferry Building and thought I would walk/run down the Embarcadero. Ahem... yeah... it was definitely as painful as I remember. I think I could maybe run for about 20 seconds at a time... lungs burning & legs feeling like I must have weighed 250 lbs... what the hell?! Can I really train and condition my body to run/walk 13 miles?!?

Oh crap. This should be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home