Shelby's TNT experience

A blog of my experience with Team In Training. Friends & Family can follow my interesting journey from being a person who cannot stand to run to a person who will hopefully cross the finish line of a 1/2 marathon Febuary 1st!

Saturday

My First Training Day!

I went to bed really early Friday night and woke up about 2 minutes before my alarm went off at 7:00am - I think it was because I was nervous about being late to my first run with Team In Training!

We met at Sports Basement in Crissy Field at 8:30am. I signed in and immediately ran into Annie, my first friend with TNT who I met the other night at Metro Sport. I was so happy to meet a fellow non-runner who
was also nervous & excited about taking on a 1/2 marathon! I also met my team mentor, Shawn, and a few other new people.

They said our first run today was going to be just a smidge over 2 miles. To anyone who runs at all, this probably sounds like no problem. Again, I've never been a runner, but when I've tried, I felt like passing out after the first few yards. 2 miles? okaaay.... I'll give it my best!

A team member of Annie's gave me some good advice. She told me if I trot at a slow pace to begin with, I should be able to run a lot longer than I'd expect. By the way, it was a PHENOMENAL day in SF!! About 70 degrees, sunny, clear blue skies, and a light breeze :) Anyone familiar with the Bay Area knows that in November, and along the ocean, this type of weather is not common. So lucky for me, the beautiful day added was very motivating. So off we went... very quickly the backs of my thighs were burning! I think we ran a little less than a mile (I had to walk for about a minute) until we reached the pier by the Warming Hut where we were all to stop for a few minutes to do some stretching. I really enjoy stretching :) Then we headed back to Sports Basement, but we took a slightly longer route to get there. My friend Annie was having pain from the beginnings of a blister, so we did a bit of walking, but when I was able to, I trotted along side of her to push myself. It's amazing how a small trot is so much harder than fast walking. I need as much practice as I can get. I think we might have been some of the last to finish -- but I didn't care! I did SO much better than I thought I would!

We did some more stretching and then went inside to grab some of the goodies the captains had for us: fresh fruit, bagels & juice. Then we listened to information about gear for the marathon and special tips for the cold & wet season coming up. Along with several others, I was recognized for raising over $500 before the end of November! If I get to my half way mark, $1,000, before December 29th I will receive a TNT sweatshirt. With the economy hitting everyone hard AND it being a tight Christmas for most, I understand that it's difficult to donate right now, but every little bit makes a difference. I'm REALLY hoping to be farther than the 1/2 way point before the holidays. If you are interested in contributing, even a small amount, to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and supporting my run & a great cause, click here!

Special thanks to those who've supported me so far!

4 Comments:

At November 16, 2008 at 4:34 AM , Blogger stoiczebra said...

Go Shelby! Go Shelby! Go Shelby!
- Raf

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Chandra said...

You go girl! 2 miles is a GREAT start! I'm proud of you! My friend Meghan just ran her first half marathon. You should ask her for some newbie tips. Plus she has big boobies like us :)

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM , Blogger Gina said...

way to go Shelby!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Suzette said...

I'm cracking up that Team In Training went with the TNT acronym. Were they afraid to use TIT? **giggle, giggle**

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home