Shelby's TNT experience

A blog of my experience with Team In Training. Friends & Family can follow my interesting journey from being a person who cannot stand to run to a person who will hopefully cross the finish line of a 1/2 marathon Febuary 1st!

Saturday

1/24 Last Saturday run before Race Day


As you have been reading and keeping up with my "issues"... I had no idea what to expect from the run this morning. I bought a foot wrap at Walgreens... they only had specifically "ankle wraps" but this one looked good, it wrapped under the foot and had velcro to adjust the tightness.
We met at Queen Wilhelmina's Windmill at the West end of Golden Gate Park by Ocean Beach. It was just going to be a short run since
it was the week before the race, so we were going to run out 30 minutes along Ocean Beach (the great highway) and back. It was our first crappy day of the whole 3 months of training, amazing! Just foggy, 52 degrees and a slight misty drizzle. I felt pretty good the first 20 minutes... could barely notice my foot. Colleen and I were running for 6 minutes and walking for 2 and it was working well until we turned around to start heading back and then I felt a sudden pain in my foot. Damn it! :( I stopped to hobble for a while and was thinking of whether I'd be able to walk the rest of the way back or if I should stop and have Colleen come back and pick me up. I don't know why, but I started running again, I guess if it hurt either way I just wanted to finish faster. Ironically it hurt a lot less while I was running.
So here it is, I'm just going to do what I have to do to get through race day and cross the finish line. I was really depressed for a while about my situation, if you couldn't tell! I was so crushed that I'd worked so hard to complete my huge personal challenge and small injuries were keeping from my full potential!! That was before.
Now I am viewing everything much more positively!
Regardless of what happens or doesn't happen ON race day... it is just ONE day. What I have already accomplished is: for 3 months I've woken up at 5am to meet my buddies to go run before work. I've woken up early every Wednesday in order to get to work super early so that I could leave early in order to get to the stadium to meet the team for track night, when all anyone wants to do is just go home after a long day. Every Friday night, I've gone to bed early so I could wake up early, every Saturday and be refreshed to meet the team for a progressively longer run each week! I've also spent money on gear and TWO pairs of shoes to do the right thing for injury prevention. During all of this I was also fundraising, trying not to alienate people by pestering them for donations to reach my mandatory goal of $2,000 all the time worried I might end up owing it out of my own pocket (goal reach by the way!!!). I've done more than I have ever attempted to do (physcially and commitment wise), I've learned that if I focus, put my mind to it and give 100% effort, I can do anything I want! All those items on my wishful "to do" list are now possible! I've made some cool new friends and I am now one of those people that can go for a 3 mile run! ...if I'm motivated to go by myself that is, lol... I prefer run buddies :)

Thank you to everyone who has read along during my journey and all your support! I hope you know it means a lot. :) 7 days and 18 hours until final post! You can look forward to keeping up with me as I am hoping to get my own website to journal my upcoming experiences, only if your interested of course. It helps me stay motivated to continue trying new things and not just trying, but giving the task or experience my full attention and effort before I decide if it's something I want to continue or it's maybe not for me. I've realized
running long distances is not for me, or at least my body keeps screaming it! But I am so greatful that I have learned how to enjoy more mild runs and hope I continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home