Shelby's TNT experience

A blog of my experience with Team In Training. Friends & Family can follow my interesting journey from being a person who cannot stand to run to a person who will hopefully cross the finish line of a 1/2 marathon Febuary 1st!

Saturday

Saturday 6 mile run - first bad day

As Annie and I headed up to the College of Marin for our 6 mile run we were talking about how the mood in the group has shifted slightly. I think we are all hitting our first wall and finding the motivation is harder and our bodies are starting to complain.

So we do a 1/2 mile warm up and stretch and then head out on the coarse. I'm already feeling worse than I normally do and having to walk for a few seconds here and there more than I usually need to, so the day is not off to a happy start. We trot along and make it to the big hill, which at the top is the turn around point. I am not good with the inclines, much less hills right now and so I have to walk up them. I am so impressed with Annie, she is so mentally strong and just looks down at the ground and keeps her feet moving and makes it all the way, every time, without having to walk - GO ANNIE!

Before the hill I was noticing my knees were tired... similar to after Wednesday nights run. After trotting down the hill, which down is never good for sore knees, I noticed it even more. I got to the water stop, which is about 1.25 miles from the finish and the mentor asked me how it was going. I mentioned my knees and he said to make sure I talk to the doc when I get back.

From the water spot I tried to continue a slow pace, but everytime I started my right knee would just really hurt and I didn't want to force myself in case of making it worse. We still have a month and a 1/2 of training! So I walked in the last mile. :( I was really bummed. It's challenging enough to just be out there doing it and just trying to finish, much less working around pain or getting injured.

Luckily today we had the honor of having Dr. Dave Hannaford DMP., a sports podiatrist who specializes in runner injuries. He gave an injury prevention talk and then if we were having specific problems, he would talk to us and watch us run. I told him about my knee and he agreed it is an IT band issue - some info for you if your interested in the details is in the post below.

He watched me run and said that although I do pronate (very comman, I roll a bit to the side when my foot lands and need shoe with support to prohibit the pronation), which I do have and he said my shoes are doing a good job with my feet - but my knees kind of jerk a bit to the side (sounds like i run like a spazz, but he said it is subtle, lol) So although a knowledgable running shoe sales person would see that I pronate and say I need the supportive shoe, Dr. Dave said I am a bit "unusual" - sigh... figures... and should go get a neutral supportive shoe and that the less support will help my knees not jerk outward. He said I should use the new shoe until I feel any different pain and if I do, switch back to the supportive ones. I may have to switch back-n-forth a bit during my training while my legs/knees are conditioning.

I went home and iced both my knees and they are still a bit sore. I will ice more tomorrow too. I am a little discourage I have to admit, but I'm optimistic and trust Dr. Dave. My new shoes should arrive by Friday for Saturday's run, keeping my fingers crossed they do the trick! Wish me luck!!!

1 Comments:

At December 14, 2008 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Chandra said...

That sounds painful Shelby! I'll be thinking about you and hoping you can get this worked out with shoes, etc. Love ya and miss ya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home